You are not logged in. Log In    Register      
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  4/1/2009 5:14 PM #23839
mrshowtime3
Total Posts:25
Last Post:9/1/2009
Subject: Best pool cover pump?
Hey guys, im looking to buy a new pool cover pump for doing pool openings this year. What is the recommended pump for reliability and getting the job done the quickest? Ive been looking at the Little Giant APCP 1700 GPH that runs about $150. Thanks

Posted:  4/1/2009 7:30 PM #23840
Tom the Pool Guy
Total Posts:503
Last Post:7/7/2013
I like the Little Giant pumps much better than the Rule pumps The APCP1700 is very good.. I also like to be able to bypass the pressure switch and let it run continuosly which you can't do with the Rule. The key to getting the job don't quicker is the discharge hose. If you use a standard garden hose it will take time to drain the cover no matter how many gph the pumps has so using a larger diameter discharge hose will help greatly. We use many different brands and types of sump pumps for opens and closes for speed in draining a solid cover I will use either a 5hp submisible in a plastic crate or even use our 3" trash pump with a 5 gal bucket bungied to suction hose to really get the job done fast and suck all the leaves off the cover as well.

Till the whole world hears,
Tom the Pool Guy

Posted:  4/1/2009 10:53 PM #23841
mrshowtime3
Thanks for the feedback. In a typical situation how long about would it take to drain off a cover with that little giant pump?

Posted:  4/1/2009 11:40 PM #23842
Tom the Pool Guy
Depends on how much water is on it but that pump is fast, faster than any other just cover pump on the market that I have seen, Like I said before I use big heavy duty 5hp sumirsible or trash pump because we do 3 opens a day from now till mid June and we need to get them done as fast and efficiently as possible and I can darin a cover that has 2-3 ft of water on it in like 10 to 15 mins, Quite often the problem isn't the water it's the leaves so the trash pump works really well for that, but you made a very good choice with that Little Giant ACPC 1700 we use them for our auto covers to drain rain water off and they do kick butt. Try to use some sort of adapter and clamp on a larger discharge hose than just a garden hose and you'll do fine with it,
Tom the Pool Guy

Posted:  4/2/2009 8:21 AM #23843
Admin Andy
Total Posts:584
Last Post:4/6/2009
For years, we have used the 5-APCP. By far the toughest, and most stable of all the cover pumps. 1,200 gallons per hour.

Click here for more info

Posted:  4/2/2009 8:40 AM #23844
mrshowtime3
Ok. So if it takes about 15 min with as strong of a pump as your using on a average pool, then i would guess something like this would take 30-45 min atleast? Im just a start up so money wise I cant afford much more then that pump, but man thats gonna really slow down things. Id guess thatd make the opening last like 2 hours?

Posted:  4/2/2009 10:37 AM #23845
Admin Andy
Total Posts:584
Last Post:4/6/2009
The best way to do it, is if you can make it by the pool the day or so before the actual start up.

Another pump popular in the service side of this industry is the Trident. I didn't realize you were in the business, I'm sorry

The Trident pumps 7000 gallons per hour, and will attach to your vacuum hose. That should speed things up some.

http://www.poolcenter.com/winter_pool_sup plies_cover_pumps.htm Click here for more info

Andy

Posted:  4/2/2009 1:05 PM #23846
mrshowtime3
This is my first year in the business doing openings. IM really not sure what to expect as far as how long it will take. Thats really what im trying to figure out. I originally thought an hour to an hour and a half for an opening. Now if the cover needs drained it seems like itd be a lot longer.

Posted:  4/2/2009 8:56 PM #23847
Tom the Pool Guy
There is alot involevd in an open even if it isn't a complete drain and clean. we do them in two parts Day one remove and clean winter cover lower anchors, clean deck, drain down pool at least partially or as almost 50% of ours are completely for a drain and clean ( most of ousr have mesh covers) , Remove winterizing plugs, install hand rails diving board ect.., acid wash water line if open only or entire pool for drain and clean we use 3" or 4" trash pumps for that. install fittings skimmer baskets lights whatever, test lights pumps equipment ect..,chlorine wash pool, clean equiment pad , roll up and store winter cover winterizing plugs ect.. and of course there is set up, clean up pick up, get down from truck put back in truck talk to customer with insructions on refilling pool ect...This takes a 2-3 man crew 2-3 hrs with a pool only pool/spa combos takes 3-4 hours and depending on the size and features of the pools could be up to 5- 7 hours and thats day one. After pools have filled customers calls us and a start up crew of 2 men go back to prime up pumps get things runnig sometimes clean and service auto covers vac pool chemical balance address any reapairs that were noted on day one or discovered on start up like heater problems tlie repairs lights pressure gauges misiing fittinds Now new MD requirements mean we will be doing alot of that type stuff and that start up usually take at least an hour sometime 2-3 -4 hours depending on the circumstances, All this making sure you don;t do any damage to the customers or neibors prperty and avod any violations of city county stae or civil laws.So if you are new to the business I hope you are well trained, equipt, insured enough to make it worth you efforts or you will be in for a rude awakining trust me any problems that aren't adressed promptly and professsinally and you will have a heck of a time collecting any money for you services. Insurance is expensive and a must as well,All this should be taken into consideration when pricing out you services. I don't want to discourage you but it sounds like you may not realize exactly what you are getting into and thought I might be able to give you a idea, Now I do realize some companies may ask customers to remove their own covers and pump down their own pools and things like that but the money is in the services you provide and the way you provide them so full service is of course the most profitable.

Tom the Pool Guy

Posted:  4/2/2009 11:53 PM #23848
mrshowtime3
Thanks alot for the info. It definatly is different where im at though. Im in central PA. My area is 99% vinyl liner pools. Every pool place around here either drains pool to 4" below skimmer at close or instructs owner to do so. So really the whole draining the pool upon opening is foreign to me. Your typical opening around here consists of:

- Taking off cover, draining water off it first if customer hasnt done so... at extra charge
- folding and storeing cover, cleaning if instructed at extra charge
- taking out plugs in returns and skimmer.
- getting pump and filter re connected and operating
- reconnect rails or ladders (Im not planning on doing diving boards because of liability)
- water must be brought up if not already done by customer
- any vacuuming or chemical treatment is done at extra charge

See all that is what im thinking about a timeline for. Draining the water off a cover would probably be the most time consuming part.

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic