You are not logged in. Log In    Register      
  Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  5/27/2009 10:57 AM #24225
Wired
Total Posts:1
Last Post:5/27/2009
Subject: Wiring question on new Hayward 1 HP pump
I am replacing a 1 HP pump with a new Hayward 1 HP Super Pump (115v/230v switchable, 60 cycle, 15 amp max load at 230v )and have a question about the wiring. It appears that the previous pump was wired for 230V since it is tied to two circuit breakers (each 20 amp)that are joined by a threaded bar in the circuit box and that two black (hot?) wires are running into the swith receptacle box that provides power to the pump out by the pool pump. I also have a Polaris Pump on this circuit that is tied into the switch receptacle so that the pool, pump must be running for the Polaris to power on. The third wire running to the old pump is white and was attached to the ground screw inside the motor cover, and it appears to be a "neutral" or common wire coming from the circuit box? I have no grren ground wire or bare ground wire coming into this switch receptacle that is used to turn the pool pump off/on outside beside the pump. I also have the customary 8 AWG bare goround that attaches to both pumps and is grounded to a rod below the surface.

My questions are: 1.) Do I wire the new Hayward pump the same way using the white wire as a "ground" to the pump, or should I cap the white wire and run a green ground wire from the metal switch outlet box to the ground on the inside motor wiring?
2.) Also, per the operator's manual, the circuit breaker amp rating for the new pump is 10 amp for 230v operation, and my circuit breakers are 20 amp each...is this a problem? Do I need to purchase a double circuit with 10 amps per switch instead?

Thanks!

Wired

Posted:  5/27/2009 1:13 PM #24227
JohnT
Total Posts:1533
Last Post:11/2/2009
It sounds like your pump is wired correctly for 220V, but if you have any doubts, consult a pro. Normally there is no ground in a 220 hookup.

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic