Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  1/18/2017 3:30 PM #26583
JohnMike
Troy, Alabama
Total Posts:3
Last Post:1/20/2017
Subject: Which Shock is best
A buddy told me I shouldn't mix Di-Chlor shock and Tri-Chlor tabs ??? Is this true, and if so, why???? I took his word for it last summer after I had bought a bucket of Tri-Chlor tabs and a 25 lbs bucket of granular Di-Chlor shock. I can't find tri-Chlor shock in large buckets around here and it is only available in the small containers that they have at the local box stores... I want to do what's best so educate me on the differences in Tri & Di Chlors please.

JohnMike
[Edited on 1/18/2017]

Posted:  1/18/2017 6:19 PM #26584
Rob Cox
Administrator
rob@poolcenter.com
Total Posts:343
Last Post:3/21/2017
Hi

You should never mix any types of chlorine together. Here's a little story... we used to make our own winterizing floaters out of large ziplock bags with 5 or 6 tablets in there. One day, a helper decided to pour the shock into the bag, with the tablets, for a slow-release effect, or so he thought. When it hit the water it was fast release, and it actually exploded, very loudly and forcefully. Shock everywhere.

It just takes a drop of moisture, to mix the highly incompatible chlorines, or a speck of dirt. Very important, do not mix different types of chlorine together. (or chlorine with ANYTHING - I could tell you another story of drops of algaecide contacting pool shock).

Now, you can use both chemicals, just separately. Most people use 3" tablets or sticks of Trichlor, for daily chlorination, and use dichlor or cal hypo granular for occasional super-chlorination or shock treatment. They just can't contact each other, and must be kept clean, dry, in a cool area.

Most pools use about 2-3 of the 3" tablets per week, per 10000 gallons of pool water. Or somewhere between 25lbs and 50 lbs for a season.

Rob
Rob Cox
President
POOLCENTER.com

Posted:  1/19/2017 2:29 PM #26585
JohnMike
Troy, Alabama
Ok that is precisely what I currently do. I use Tri-Chlor tabs in floaters in the pool and go through about 6 a week. I just ran out of granular Di-Chlor shock and need to buy more shock. I plan on getting a 25lbs bucket or more. I would have preferred to get Tri-Chlor shock too but I can't find that anywhere. I don't seem to be able to find Di-Chlor tabs either. I don't mix them until they hit the water but I just would feel better about it if I could get them both to match.

Posted:  1/19/2017 2:44 PM #26586
Rob Cox
Administrator
rob@poolcenter.com
Total Posts:343
Last Post:3/21/2017
Hi

You can find trichlor shock and dichlor tabs, because they don't exist! :-)

Trichlor is sold in 1" or 3" tablets or sticks, and is used in a floater or chlorinator to raise the chlorine level above 2 ppm, consistently and constantly.

Dichlor is one type of granular pool shock, the main distinction being that it is stabilized, or it has cyanuric acid added to the powder, so it can be applied during sunny hours, and will not burn off as fast in hot sun. Does contribute to cyanuric levels, raising levels... It's usually about 56% available chlorine. More expensive than cal hypo.

Cal Hypo (calcium hypochlorite) is the most common pool shock that pool owners buy and use. It's unstabilized, economical and effective. Typically 65% available strength, also found in 73%. Does add calcium to the pool, raising water hardness levels. Can be purchased in 25lb and 50lb buckets http://www.poolcenter.com/p/calcium-hypoc hlorite-granules :-)

Lithium hypochlorite (Lithium Hypo) is a clean burning shock that leaves no residue, contributes no calcium or cyanuric to the pool, and won't bleach vinyl liners. Ph balanced too, but only 35% available chlorine, and fairly pricey.

Hope that helps. I use cal hypo most often. Like any other granular oxidizer, it is incompatible with any other substance, and great care should be taken when handling. Keep Clean and Dry, and store in climate controlled area, but not near open flames (water heaters), or air intake ducts. Even tight lids can emit fumes, which can also corrode stainless steel metals, so don't store it in the garage, next to your DeLorean... ;-)
Rob Cox
President
POOLCENTER.com

Posted:  1/20/2017 10:50 AM #26587
JohnMike
Troy, Alabama
Down here in Alabama where I live we mostly see the Di-Chlor in granular form at the local stores ..... I think I may go ahead and order some online from the poolcenter and try the Cal Hypo and see what results I get ..... Thanks for the info ...

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic