advanced

Posted:  3/12/2017 3:18 PM #26593
Deerfire
Methuen
Total Posts:1
Last Post:3/12/2017
Subject: Winter Pool Leak
Hello,

I have a leak in my winterized pool and was looking for some input. It's an inground pool, with a 2 year old liner and 2 year old plumbing. I estimate it's leaking about 3/4" per day, when it's leaking, it appears to have stopped right now. The weather has recently changed from above freezing to well below freezing, which leads me to believe it may be a cracked pipe. At one point the pool leaked down to a level below all the plumbing, except the main drain of course. Does anyone think its possible for a main drain line to leak, then stop when it refreezes? My pool guy had me convinced it was a leak in the liner, but now that it seems to have stopped with the cold weather, I horrified to think its the main drain. I know everything is just speculation, until it's tested, but I can't stop worrying about it and can't deal with it until spring. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Posted:  3/13/2017 8:20 AM #26594
Rob Cox
Administrator
rob@poolcenter.com
Total Posts:343
Last Post:3/21/2017
Hi

Probably not the main drain, especially if it was winterized. More likely the pool light conduit (which is not winterized), or a hole in the liner. Keep adding water as needed to keep the pool filled, until you can take the cover off and do some liner inspections. If it is the light conduit leaking, that's an easy repair with putty or silicone to seal it up (where the light cord passes through the light niche).
Rob Cox
President
POOLCENTER.com

Jump to: