Previous Topic    Next Topic  
advanced

Posted:  8/19/2017 8:06 AM #26628
Wildwilly
Northern NJ
Total Posts:1
Last Post:8/19/2017
Subject: Intermittent Bubbles Coming From The Return Lines
First post so pls forgive my rookie-ness! I have an Anthony in-ground pool. For the past few days I've noticed an increasing amount of bubbles entering the pool via the return jets. Last night, there seemed to be more bubbles than water. I purged the air from my Hayward filter tank and tightened a few clamps feeding into the pump. That seemed to help a little, but it was still very bubbly. This morning it was as bad as it's ever been. So a few hours later, I turn on the filter (which had since turned off via the timer), go out there with all my tools on this AWFUL humid morning (one inch of rain last night), and there isn't a single bubble anywhere! Between 5AM and 9AM this thing fixed itself and I didn't touch anything! I can't imagine a broken line or loose clamps will cause an intermittent problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also can't imagine this is fixed permanently now! Funny thing, it looked really cool with the bubbles, but we know that's not good for filtration efficiency.

If it matters, there is a Polaris cleaner with booster pump in the pluming. and I did see bubbles coming from the Polaris when it was happening. But now, no bubbles anywhere!

Thanks,
Billy

Posted:  8/20/2017 8:04 AM #26631
Rob Cox
Administrator
rob@poolcenter.com
Total Posts:355
Last Post:5/1/2018
Hi, if it is a break in the skimmer line, the saturated ground could seal it up, with muddy clay sealing up the pipes, and water keeping air out of the ground. But sometimes this can also happen with fittings and rubber unions (mission couplings), as a cold storm shrinks the plastics, and heat expands them. A bit of humidity may also play a factor. I would break out a shovel and dig - at the point where the suction lines come out of the ground. If it is a pipe break, you'll likely find it at the elbow, and should spot it easily, just 1-2 feet down. If you do have rubber couplings in front of the pump, you can test those by squirting shaving cream (yup!) around the edges of the boot, to see if it sucks in while the pump is running. Suction air leaks will often spray a quick spritz or water or drip, when the pump is shut off after running for some time, another clue as to the source of an (aboveground) air leak.
Rob Cox
President
POOLCENTER.com

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic