advanced

Posted:  8/21/2017 6:47 PM #26632
mldiana
Kenner, LA
Total Posts:3
Last Post:8/22/2017
Subject: Leaking around glass blocks
Hi everyone,

So I had an unground spa rebuilt a little over a year ago, and it included a wall of glass block with a spillway into the main pool. After about 6 months or so, we noticed a large rust spot developing at one of the corners of the blocks, and now we see water running freely through the joints between the blocks. There is also what appears to be associated glazing on the blocks where the water is running through. Any suggestions as to what's causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Mark

Posted:  8/21/2017 8:44 PM #26633
Rob Cox
Administrator
rob@poolcenter.com
Total Posts:355
Last Post:5/1/2018
Hi, the rust spot could have been a piece of rebar tie wire, or mesh they used, or accidentally ended up there perhaps, and when moisture hit the steel, it began to rust, which began to spoil the surrounding grout between the blocks, and now there's a leak. You can band-aid it with silicone, but you probably need to chase the rust, remove it all and rebuild that part of the wall.
Rob Cox
President
POOLCENTER.com

Posted:  8/22/2017 11:33 AM #26634
mldiana
Kenner, LA
Total Posts:3
Last Post:8/22/2017
Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I am certain when they built the wall that they used some metal ties to reinforce it, but I assumed they would be stainless steel. Apparently not. Can you help me understand how the water infiltrated to get to the metal in the first place to cause the rust?

Also, there is water running freely through some joints that have not yet developed visible rust. I mean the water is running between two stacked glass blocks in a steady stream, so it's not just the rust that caused the leaking.

Thanks,

Mark

Jump to:

Previous Topic    Next Topic