You are not logged in. Log In    Register      
advanced

Posted:  7/10/2018 11:06 AM #26652
KateG
Rhode Island
1 attachment
Total Posts:2
Last Post:7/10/2018
Subject: Screw trapped under vinyl liner-- redo entire job or roll in?
My contractor finished a complete overhaul of our pool. Redo vermiculite, new pipes, new liner, new DE filter etc. About a week after we paid him, we noticed a 1" screw trapped, tight enough so you can see the threads (see photo attached, taken underwater, next to a quarter for size), at the bottom of the deep end! The contractor says he will come back and roll it into the vermiculite. If it were a pebble, I'd feel more comfortable, but this is a very pointy screw! The options are few, I guess: roll it in or he takes out 40K of water and redoes it. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Kate
Providence Rhode Island
20X40 vermiculite, vinyl
Attachments:
screw under liner.png (3298Kb)   

Posted:  7/10/2018 2:42 PM #26653
PoolTalker
Administrator
Total Posts:147
Last Post:7/13/2018
Hi Kate, the plan sounds solid, or the best course of action. With some even pressure, they should be able to push the screw down into the vermiculite, so it won't be visible, and won't poke the liner. Hopefully without damage to the liner. However, we can only hope that the screw is stainless steel, or it will rust thru the liner eventually... probably is SS, if it is a light or skimmer screw, and if it is, check the light ring, skimmers, drain and return faceplates and rings, to be sure all screws were used, or there may be a future leak, if even one screw was left out, somewhere.
-POOLCENTER.com

Posted:  7/10/2018 6:36 PM #26654
KateG
Rhode Island
Total Posts:2
Last Post:7/10/2018
Thanks for the advice! The total cost for removal and disposal of old liner, and new liner and install was $5700, which should have given me a (reasonably) perfect finished job. I'm guessing that a nice new liner with a screw and patch that might or might not erupt one day wouldn't go for the same $5700. Is it reasonable to ask for a certain % of the cost be returned? What's reasonable? Thanks again!

Jump to: